Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Presents/Gifts/Giving

Book Ideas:
Emily’s Christmas Gifts by Cindy Senning
Emily loves everything about Christmas, especially giving gifts. Her favorite kinds aren't those that can be wrapped up and put under the tree, but are the true treasures of kindness and consideration.



Little Rabbit’s Christmas by Harry Horse
When the Christmas Rabbit brings the red sled he's longed for (the one that goes "Whoosh!"), the small animal refuses to let anyone else play with it. Instead he pulls it far up a hill, much too far, so that when he whooshes down again he crashes and the sled breaks. It takes his friends to fix both the sled and his attitude, and everything ends happily.



The twelve Days of Christmas presents by Harriet Ziefert
A clever children’s variation on a favorite song. Instead of the old-fashioned partridges, maids-a-milking, and lords-a-leaping, youngsters will find colorful hula hoops, wind-up toys, furry bears, trains-a-tooting, and jelly babies.


The Quiltmaker’s Gift by Jeff Brumbeau
A gifted quiltmaker never sells her wares, but gives them away to the poor. When a greedy king demands a quilt, she agrees to make a quilt, only if he gives away all that he has. The king finally learns the joy of giving and what happiness really feels like.



The Christmas Box by Anee Stewart Wetzel
When Father is stationed with the military in Japan, he sends his family an intriguing wooden box at Christmastime.



Rhymes and Songs:

Christmas Presents
See all the presents by the Christmas tree. (Hands in sweeping motion.)
Some for you (Point to children.)
And some for me. (Point to self.)
Long ones, (Hands spread wide apart.)
Tall ones, (Measure from the floor.)
Short ones, too. (Hands close together.)
And here is a round one (Make circle with arms.)
Wrapped in blue.
Isn't it fun to look and see
All the presents by the Christmas tree? (Nod.)


The Twelve Days of Christmas
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me
a Partridge in a Pear Tree
On the second day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the third day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree
On the fourth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the fifth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Five Golden Rings, Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens,
Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the sixth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Six Geese-a-Laying, Five Golden Rings, Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens,
Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the seventh day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Seven Swans-a-Swimming, Six Geese-a-Laying, Five Golden Rings,
Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves,
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the eighth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Eight Maids-a-Milking, Seven Swans-a-Swimming, Six Geese-a-Laying,
Five Golden Rings, Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens,
Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the ninth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Nine Ladies Dancing, Eight Maids-a-Milking, Seven Swans-a-Swimming,
Six Geese-a-Laying, five golden rings, Four Calling Birds,
Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the tenth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Ten Lords-a-Leaping, Nine Ladies Dancing, Eight Maids-a-Milking,
Seven Swans-a-Swimming, Six Geese-a-Laying, Five Golden Rings,
Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves,
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the eleventh day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Eleven Pipers Piping, Ten Lords-a-Leaping, Nine Ladies Dancing,
Eight Maids-a-Milking, Seven Swans-a-Swimming, Six Geese-a-Laying,
Five Golden Rings, Four Calling Birds, Three French Hens,
Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
On the twelfth day of Christmas, My true love gave to me,
Twelve Drummers Drumming, Eleven Pipers Piping,
Ten Lords-a-Leaping, Nine Ladies Dancing, Eight Maids-a-Milking,
Seven Swans-a-Swimming, Six Geese-a-Laying, Five Golden Rings, Four Calling Birds,
Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves, And a Partridge in a Pear Tree


12 days of Christmas Hawaiian Style (I grew up with this version:) )
Numbah One day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
One mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Two day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Two coconut, an' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Tree day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Tree dry squid, two coconut, An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Foah day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut, An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Five day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink)...
foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut, An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Seex day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Seex hula lesson, five beeg fat peeg (oink, oink), Foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut,
An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Seven day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Seven shrimp a-swimmin', seex hula lesson, Five beeg fat peeg (oink, oink), foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut, An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Eight day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Eight ukulele, seven shrimp a-swimmin', seex hula lesson, Five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink), foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut, An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Nine day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Nine pounds of poi, eight ukuleles, seven shrimp a-swimmin',Seex hula lesson, five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink), foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut,
An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Ten day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Ten cans of soda, nine pounds of poi, eight ukuklele, seven shrimp a-swimmin'
Seex hula lesson, five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink), Foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut,
An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Eleven day of Christmas, my tutu give to me
Eleven missionary, ten cans of soda, nine pounds of poi, Eight ukulele, seven shrimp a-swimmin', seex hula lesson, Five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink), foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut,
An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree.

Numbah Twelve day of Christmas, my tutu give to meTwelve TELEVISION, eleven missionary, ten cans of soda, Nine pounds of poi, eight ukulele, seven shrimp a-swimmin',Seex hula lesson, five beeg fat peeg(oink, oink),Foah flowah lei, tree dry squid, two coconut,
An' one mynah bird in one papaya tree!
Activity Ideas:
Idea #1: Secret Santa Gift
Read one of the stories and then put together a plate of treats and deliver it secretly, without the person or family knowing who left it. Here is an easy treat that we love to make every year at our house. You'll need Pretzel Rods and Wiltons white candy melts (you can get them at Walmart or at Michael's craft store) and some holiday sprinkles or crushed candy cane.
All you do is melt the candy melts in the microwave, and then dip the pretzels (I sort of tilt my bowl to the side and roll the pretzels in the white chocolate. Then you set it on some wax paper or tinfoil and let the kids sprinkle on the toppings. Let them sit to harden before you bag them.

Idea #2: Explore with wrapping materials
Let your child wrap something- either an empty box or a real present that they got to pick out for someone at the dollar store. Let them explore using the tape and scissors and bows etc... Believe me your kids will love to do this all by themselves! My two-year old needed a little help getting started, but a child 3 and up will get into this.

Idea #3: Make homemade wrapping paper

Read one of the stories and then make your own wrapping paper using a paper grocery bag, some paint, and some Christmas cookie cutters.



Cut and open the paper bag so that you can lay it flat on the blank side. Then let your child have fun dipping the cookie cutters into the paint and stamping them onto the paper bag.



Let them have fun doing it however they want. My two-year old started rubbing the cookie cutters from side to side on the paper. She loved doing this all by her self. Let it dry and then use it to wrap one of their presents in it.
Idea #4: Make a coupon book
Read one of the books and then discuss that the best gifts don't have to be bought in a store. Brainstorm together ideas of things your child could help do for someone and make a coupon book of service activities your child could do for that person.

1 comment:

Caitilin said...

Amy, I have LOVED all the ideas for Christmas. You are incredible -- and I'm so thankful you post your brilliant-ness (is that a word??)! The boys and I have taken these Chrsitmas book ideas (found most of them at the Library), then each night in December we lay under the Christmas tree and read by soft Christmas lights. It is magical!! xoxxo